Monday, April 22, 2013

Futurama cancelled again

Sad day.  This is one of my favorite shows of all time.

There is a small chance that Groening will find another outlet for the show, but it looks a bit unlikely (animation budgets are probably still a bit out of Netflix's reach).  There appear to be 13 unaired episodes that come out this summer (though not in Canada in any reasonable timeframe -- boo hiss).  So that is something to look forward to, though watching them will be a bit overshadowed by the knowledge that these are the last.  Un peu de melancholie, peut-etre?  Apparently the final episode can double as a series finale, and it sounds great, but I promise not to put any spoilers in this post.

I guess my favorite 10 episodes (in rough order) are:
Space Pilot 3000 (the first episode naturally -- they sure squeezed a lot in there!)
Godfellas
The Late Philip J. Fry
The Farnsworth Parabox
Roswell That Ends Well
Parasites Lost
Brannigan, Begin Again
Jurassic Bark
The Luck of the Fryrish
Where No Fan Has Gone Before
        
From the last two seasons, I thought these were the best (except for The Late Philip J Fry, which is in my top 10 of all time):
Möbius Dick    
Law and Oracle
Viva Mars Vegas
Overclockwise
The Prisoner of Benda

In general, the last two seasons (and the movies) didn't quite live up to expectations, but I gave it a lot of slack, given that I was so glad it had come back from the dead, so to speak.  And there were definitely some dog episodes in the first 4 seasons (ironically, Jurassic Bark was one of the best).  I agree with some random internet critic who said that the average episodes of New Futurama were maybe a bit worse than Classic Futurama, but when they were on, they still hit it out of the park.  I'm still glad they had more episodes to squeeze in more of the universe (but why they didn't really explore more of the universe -- and make more deliveries! -- is an eternal mystery).


I have most of the comic book spins offs, though I have gotten a bit bad about keeping up with them.  I may need to get some back issues.  I definitely stopped getting the toys after a while, but still I have plenty to play with.


(Bender after my daughter used him as a chew toy! You can see he is missing "little Bender."  While I was a bit upset (ok, a lot upset), I decided I would just pretend I have a limited edition Bender from the "I, Roommate" episode.)

Ironically, I bought PS2 solely to play the Futurama game but barely broke it out, and now I can't even find the console (I think I can track down the game cartridge).  Probably my kids would get a kick out of playing this, if I can ever get it all together in one place and (space)time.

No comments:

Post a Comment